As a Group Fitness Instructor for 15+ years, a previous Group Fitness Director over multiple facilities for 10 years and a Presenter for Powder Blue Productions for 6 years…I have a load of EXPERIENCE in hiring, training and developing Instructors!! Besides all of my own personal auditions, I’ve trained hundreds of students on how to make the leap from student to instructor and NAIL THE GROUP FITNESS AUDITION!! Here are my TOP TIPS:
1. Do Your Homework- Research the Club you will be auditioning at. Look to see if your favorite format is offered, what other classes on the schedule can you also teach and what classes are you interested to LEARN how to teach. What are the most popular classes on the schedule and why? If your favorite format is NOT on the schedule, be prepared to PRESENT it to the GX Director with Passion!! They may not be familiar with it and you will need send them more info including a website, youtube video etc. They may also be resistant to offering a new format – be ready to show them how it can compliment an existing class…yet still build numbers!
2. What to Bring- Copies of your Primary Group Fitness Certification/ CPR / Additional Trainings, Certifications, Workshops attended (this info may be emailed ahead of time but always have it on you just in case)
3. Dress to Impress- Bring your A GAME!! This is a job interview and you still want to STAND OUT as a Fitness Professional! Wear a zip up jacket that you can remove when you start to workout…followed with your BEST workout attire to teach class in. Think of all the details including shoes, hair & make up (ladies) to polish off your professional look! Greet the Director with a SMILE, EYE CONTACT and a Confident Handshake!! They are looking for PEOPLE FRIENDLY Stand Outs…that’s YOU!! Make a Great First Impression and sometimes thats within the first 11 seconds that someone meets you!!
4. Time to Shine- When it is time to Audition, take the floor and OWN IT!! Show your Passion for teaching in every step that you take! KNOW your material and practice ahead of time. Directors are looking for Confidence, Musicality, Cueing Skills, Energy & Enthusiasm, Knowledge on Form/Technique and Modifications to name a few. You will have less than 5 minutes to put it all together…do your BEST, have FUN and be YOU x 10!! Recognize that there are areas that you may need to work on, be OPEN to feedback and let the GX Director know you are willing to LEARN & TRAIN with them to get better…that goes a long way!
5. Be Flexible – You may want the prime time FAV CLASS at 6pm on Monday Nights but instead the only classes that are available are friday nights and early mornings…everyone starts in the same place and in the beginning you need to take what you can get and just GET IN! Let the Director know you are free to sub, interested in learning more formats and open to new time slots as they become available. THINK – How can I help? If you show flexibility in your schedule and a willingness to learn, you will be considered even if you are NEW! Share your Passion and communicate you’re willing to do what it takes to improve your skills….that’s how you get your foot in the door!
Overall be YOU!! Make a Great First Impression and EXUDE Passion for what you love – teaching!!!
Good Luck!! Let me know if you have any questions!