Once you receive your Brand NEW Turbo Kick Round in the mail, where do you event START to begin to learn the choreography? This is one of the questions Turbo Kick Instructors ask me daily!!! Well…I believe it is different for everyone and you have to find YOUR WAY of learning it, but I’m going to share with you HOW I LEARN and MEMORIZE the Round in less than 2 days!!! I just received Round 50 yesterday and I am going to teach it TONIGHT!!! Now remember I have been teaching Turbo Kick for 8 years!!!! So it takes time to learn them this fast….but you will!! BE PERSISTENT!!!
Step 1: Listen to the CD in my car to get familiar with the music! (Remember the music on the dvd is DIFFERENT then the CD due to licensing fees)
Step 2: Watch the PREVIEW SECTION – I have a blank notebook, pen and choreography liner notes in front of me. I just WATCH and WRITE out the CHOREOGRAPHY in my own words…I do NOT do the workout at this point. Writing it out helps you memorize it and makes it easier to learn because you understand your own “terminology”
Step 3: Watch the WORKOUT – I watch the workout section and visually match it up to my notes to make sure I understand what I wrote! I mainly study the BASIC LAYERS (3-4 moves in a song) and write the advanced layers off to the side (If I plan to teach them in later weeks…this is up to you and the level of your class)
Step 4: DO THE WORKOUT!!! So this is usually the next day for me. I’ve had to time to let the choreography sync in my head, now I do the workout straight through from warm – up to finale with the DVD
Step 5: PUT THE CD IN and DO THE CHOREOGRAPHY from my own NOTES!!!! I do one section at a time to memorize it and MATCH it to the music! And I personally learn the TURBO SECTION LAST!!!! It’s usually the hardest part for me to memorize and I dont want it to slow me down, so I learn everything else 1st then go back to it!!!
PRACTICE – PRACTICE – PRACTICE!!!! AT this point, I pretty much know it now I just need to MEMORIZE IT!! So I continue to practice the Chor to the CD, listen to the CD in the car and match the moves and then practice in the mirror without notes right before class!!!!
EXTRA TIPS – Set a GOAL DATE!!!! When I receive the Round I tell myself, I’m teaching this on _______. That holds me accountable to learn it faster!!! Also, keep your notes with you and if you need to look at them, that’s ok!!! We all forget the material the first few times…the main thing is to keep YOUR EYES on you students and have FUN!!!
COMMENT BELOW or MESSAGE ME with any questions!
Interested in becoming a Turbo Kick Instructor? Visit Chalene Johnson’s Website – Powder Blue Productions www.turbokick.com
As a Group Fitness Instructor for 15+ years, a previous Group Fitness Director over multiple facilities for 10 years and a Presenter for Powder Blue Productions for 6 years…I have a load of EXPERIENCE in hiring, training and developing Instructors!! Besides all of my own personal auditions, I’ve trained hundreds of students on how to make the leap from student to instructor and NAIL THE GROUP FITNESS AUDITION!! Here are my TOP TIPS:
1. Do Your Homework- Research the Club you will be auditioning at. Look to see if your favorite format is offered, what other classes on the schedule can you also teach and what classes are you interested to LEARN how to teach. What are the most popular classes on the schedule and why? If your favorite format is NOT on the schedule, be prepared to PRESENT it to the GX Director with Passion!! They may not be familiar with it and you will need send them more info including a website, youtube video etc. They may also be resistant to offering a new format – be ready to show them how it can compliment an existing class…yet still build numbers!
2. What to Bring- Copies of your Primary Group Fitness Certification/ CPR / Additional Trainings, Certifications, Workshops attended (this info may be emailed ahead of time but always have it on you just in case)
3. Dress to Impress- Bring your A GAME!! This is a job interview and you still want to STAND OUT as a Fitness Professional! Wear a zip up jacket that you can remove when you start to workout…followed with your BEST workout attire to teach class in. Think of all the details including shoes, hair & make up (ladies) to polish off your professional look! Greet the Director with a SMILE, EYE CONTACT and a Confident Handshake!! They are looking for PEOPLE FRIENDLY Stand Outs…that’s YOU!! Make a Great First Impression and sometimes thats within the first 11 seconds that someone meets you!!
4. Time to Shine- When it is time to Audition, take the floor and OWN IT!! Show your Passion for teaching in every step that you take! KNOW your material and practice ahead of time. Directors are looking for Confidence, Musicality, Cueing Skills, Energy & Enthusiasm, Knowledge on Form/Technique and Modifications to name a few. You will have less than 5 minutes to put it all together…do your BEST, have FUN and be YOU x 10!! Recognize that there are areas that you may need to work on, be OPEN to feedback and let the GX Director know you are willing to LEARN & TRAIN with them to get better…that goes a long way!
5. Be Flexible – You may want the prime time FAV CLASS at 6pm on Monday Nights but instead the only classes that are available are friday nights and early mornings…everyone starts in the same place and in the beginning you need to take what you can get and just GET IN! Let the Director know you are free to sub, interested in learning more formats and open to new time slots as they become available. THINK – How can I help? If you show flexibility in your schedule and a willingness to learn, you will be considered even if you are NEW! Share your Passion and communicate you’re willing to do what it takes to improve your skills….that’s how you get your foot in the door!
Overall be YOU!! Make a Great First Impression and EXUDE Passion for what you love – teaching!!!
Good Luck!! Let me know if you have any questions!
Check out the All New Turbo Fire Workouts that are LOW IMPACT!!! Still Super Intense and FUN but low impact for a cross training option…or for those who want to keep it low but still work at HIGH INTENSITY also known as HIIT Training!! I’ve personally lost 17lbs from Turbo Fire!! When I’m not teaching classes at the gym, I’m pressing play on my DVD for some Music Pumpin, Sweat Inducing Turbo Fire!!!!
**Turbo Jam & Turbo Fire are the at home versions of Turbo Kick (format taught in clubs) Check out Chalene sharing her thoughts on the NEW WORKOUTS!! ORDER TURBO FIRE
Interested in a sneak peak into a Turbo Kick Training? Check out this LIVE Training hosted in Champaign IL in September 2011!! This Party ROCKED the house!! Congratulations to everyone who stepped out of the comfort zone to sign up and in turn Crushed a Goal off their list!! Now its time to Practice and Check another one off of your list…Your first Class!!!
I’m here to help and I’d love to be your Fitness Resource in building your Career! The time to start is NOW….Let’s Go!
If you have ever thought….”I would LOVE to become an Instructor one day”…what is holding you back? If you have found a Passion in Fitness and would love to help inspire others, this is the path you need to jump on!! As an Instructor, your job is to make people feel Great about themselves!! Lift them up inside while you’re helping them get fit on the outside…do your job well and it will never feel like “work”!! The best compliment a student could give me is that they had so much fun in class and can’t wait to come back next week!! GREAT Instructors are Educated, Passionate about their field and willing to go the Extra Step to help others just because they LOVE what they DO!!! That can be you…
Here’s live video footage from the Turbo Kick Instructor Training in Deerfield IL on 8/27/2011!! This was my largest training EVER with over 50 students!!! Hello!! Needless to say we had a BLAST and Rocked the House!! Now its time to PRACTICE – Set Goals – and Surround yourself with People who will hold you Accountable to them!!
Join me for the next training in Turbo Kick, PiYo or Hip Hop Hustle!! Visit the Event Calendar at Turbo Kick
PiYo is a Cardio & Core Conditioning Mind/Body Format using Yoga & Pilates “Inspired” Movements that incorporates Functional and Plyometric Training choreographed to Music!! This workout is HOT!! The moves are intense, the music is upbeat and fun and the workout is hard-core!! Expect to improve Strength, Core Stability, Balance and Flexibility. It is for ALL LEVELS and can be modified to suit any group.
Today we focused on HOW To Learn to Teach this Format and Become a Trained Instructor in PiYo. We focused on the foundation of Pilates and Yoga as well as Form/Technique, Breathing, Modifications, Choreography, Cueing and More!! For most of them, this was their 1st Live PiYo Class so they probably didn’t know quite what to expect….but I think they LOVED it!!
If you are looking to become an Instructor or would just love to attend the training to be able to purchase the at home workouts…Visit Turbo Kick for a training near you. Or if you live in Illinois, click on my Instructor Trainings tab above…I look forward to sharing this incredible workout w/ you!!
Fitness Instructors & Personal Trainers are people who have chosen a career path that they have a GREAT PASSION for!! But WHY does that mean that they have to earn less? One of the questions I get asked all the time is….HOW can I make a Full Time Income as a Group Fitness Instructor/ Personal Trainer either by doing more or supplementing with another area of fitness?
Before I answer that, let me tell you a bit about my history…
Who am I: I’ve been a Group Fitness Instructor for 15 years, a Presenter for Chalene Johnson’s Company for 5 years – Powder Blue Productions – including Turbo Kick, PiYo & Hip Hop Hustle as well as a Continuing Education Provider for ACE & AFAA within those formats. I’ve been a Club Manager for Women’s Fitness Clubs for over 10 years including many different positions: District Management, Group Fitness Director for 9 clubs & Fitness Director in charge of Personal Training. I now have my own home based business: Online Marketing in the Fitness Industry. I share this with you to let you in on my experience in many different areas of Fitness…
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Teaching Group Fitness Classes!!! As do ALL Instructors, we CHOOSE to Motivate everyone in our class to not only get a great workout but to teach them that Fitness can be FUN!! It is the HIGHLIGHT of my day!! And if my body could handle it, I probably would teach full-time…but not only is not good for my body to overtrain but its also not fair to my students to burn out on them & not deliver the BEST CLASS! Instructors teach on average 5-10 classes a week and Personal Trainers are in demand at peak times of the day: mornings, evenings and weekends. Both of these situations explain why it is a CHALLENGE to Build a Full Time Income as an Instructor or Personal Trainer.
In fact, most Instructors & PT’s work full time and do fitness on the side. But so many of us STRIVE to be able to do our PASSION full time!!! So, is it possible? What are the Options?
Let’s start with looking at what some of the different positions in Fitness and the Average Salaries…
Options to Make More Income in Fitness:
- Learning to teach an additional format such as Pilates, Yoga, Turbo Kick, Hip Hop Hustle, PiYo, Strength, Zumba may bring your current hourly rate up (depending on the facility) or give you the opportunity to work more hours as an Instructor!
- If you are a Group Fitness Instructor, you may consider studying for your Personal Training Certification (or vice versa) Personal Training allows you to work more hours and gives your body a physical break.
- Club Managers and Owners traditionally make a good salary but they do work long hours due to the responsibility of the staff and team Goals. If you love leading a Team and are a Goal Oriented Individual, this may be of interest to you!
- Most Fitness Directors teach or train in addition to their required hours to make an additional $5,000-$10,000/yr. to their salary.
- Becoming a Presenter in your favorite format is another option to add additional income & share with others what you LOVE!! Powder Blue Productions offers a Training called: All Star Presenter Camp to prepare you for becoming a Presenter or just a ROCK STAR Instructor!!
Another option is “Coaching” You may have heard of an Opportunity Beachbody, the Multi-Million Dollar Fitness Company, has created for individuals to become Reps for their products including P90X, Turbo Fire, Insanity & More! This is an Online Marketing Business helping people Get Healthy & Fit by simply “recommending” their products and more importantly…building a Team! It is an opportunity for anyone (not just fitness professionals) but honestly it’s what Instructors & Personal Trainers DO EVERYDAY ALREADY!! It was a natural fit for me because I love to help & motivate people live a better life….and I could build it as BIG as I want!!! Ultimately I always wanted to have my own BUSINESS but Financially it was Impossible….NOW I do have my own Business, Schedule my own hours and work for MYSELF all while making a full time income!! I think its GREAT and the financial opportunities are INCREDIBLE!! Not to mention you also receive 25% off all the products, SWEET!
December 29, 2008–December 30, 2009 – Beachbody
Coach Rank Average Annual Income
Emerald Rank $2751.00
Ruby Rank $9094.00
Diamond $21,966.00 (approx $400/week)
STAR DIAMOND $164,166 – $930,000!!
***Ranks are based on the level you are at in the business. I hit Diamond Rank in 12 months and Star Diamond in 24 months, and I’m still climbing!!
Chalene Johnson: Turbo Fire & Coaching Opportunity!!
Resources to Get Certified as a Group Fitness Instructor or Personal Trainer:
Connect with me if you would like more information on attending a Powder Blue Productions Instructor Training, Joining my Coaching Team or if you have any other questions. I would LOVE to help you make your PASSION for Fitness a Full Time Career!!!
Cheers to your Fitness Career, I know you will ROCK IT!!