Fitness Instructors & Personal Trainers are people who have chosen a career path that they have a GREAT PASSION for!! But WHY does that mean that they have to earn less? One of the questions I get asked all the time is….HOW can I make a Full Time Income as a Group Fitness Instructor/ Personal Trainer either by doing more or supplementing with another area of fitness?
Before I answer that, let me tell you a bit about my history…
Who am I: I’ve been a Group Fitness Instructor for 15 years, a Presenter for Chalene Johnson’s Company for 5 years – Powder Blue Productions – including Turbo Kick, PiYo & Hip Hop Hustle as well as a Continuing Education Provider for ACE & AFAA within those formats. I’ve been a Club Manager for Women’s Fitness Clubs for over 10 years including many different positions: District Management, Group Fitness Director for 9 clubs & Fitness Director in charge of Personal Training. I now have my own home based business: Online Marketing in the Fitness Industry. I share this with you to let you in on my experience in many different areas of Fitness…
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Teaching Group Fitness Classes!!! As do ALL Instructors, we CHOOSE to Motivate everyone in our class to not only get a great workout but to teach them that Fitness can be FUN!! It is the HIGHLIGHT of my day!! And if my body could handle it, I probably would teach full-time…but not only is not good for my body to overtrain but its also not fair to my students to burn out on them & not deliver the BEST CLASS! Instructors teach on average 5-10 classes a week and Personal Trainers are in demand at peak times of the day: mornings, evenings and weekends. Both of these situations explain why it is a CHALLENGE to Build a Full Time Income as an Instructor or Personal Trainer.
In fact, most Instructors & PT’s work full time and do fitness on the side. But so many of us STRIVE to be able to do our PASSION full time!!! So, is it possible? What are the Options?
Let’s start with looking at what some of the different positions in Fitness and the Average Salaries…
Options to Make More Income in Fitness:
- Learning to teach an additional format such as Pilates, Yoga, Turbo Kick, Hip Hop Hustle, PiYo, Strength, Zumba may bring your current hourly rate up (depending on the facility) or give you the opportunity to work more hours as an Instructor!
- If you are a Group Fitness Instructor, you may consider studying for your Personal Training Certification (or vice versa) Personal Training allows you to work more hours and gives your body a physical break.
- Club Managers and Owners traditionally make a good salary but they do work long hours due to the responsibility of the staff and team Goals. If you love leading a Team and are a Goal Oriented Individual, this may be of interest to you!
- Most Fitness Directors teach or train in addition to their required hours to make an additional $5,000-$10,000/yr. to their salary.
- Becoming a Presenter in your favorite format is another option to add additional income & share with others what you LOVE!! Powder Blue Productions offers a Training called: All Star Presenter Camp to prepare you for becoming a Presenter or just a ROCK STAR Instructor!!
Another option is “Coaching” You may have heard of an Opportunity Beachbody, the Multi-Million Dollar Fitness Company, has created for individuals to become Reps for their products including P90X, Turbo Fire, Insanity & More! This is an Online Marketing Business helping people Get Healthy & Fit by simply “recommending” their products and more importantly…building a Team! It is an opportunity for anyone (not just fitness professionals) but honestly it’s what Instructors & Personal Trainers DO EVERYDAY ALREADY!! It was a natural fit for me because I love to help & motivate people live a better life….and I could build it as BIG as I want!!! Ultimately I always wanted to have my own BUSINESS but Financially it was Impossible….NOW I do have my own Business, Schedule my own hours and work for MYSELF all while making a full time income!! I think its GREAT and the financial opportunities are INCREDIBLE!! Not to mention you also receive 25% off all the products, SWEET!
December 29, 2008–December 30, 2009 – Beachbody
Coach Rank Average Annual Income
Emerald Rank $2751.00
Ruby Rank $9094.00
Diamond $21,966.00 (approx $400/week)
STAR DIAMOND $164,166 – $930,000!!
***Ranks are based on the level you are at in the business. I hit Diamond Rank in 12 months and Star Diamond in 24 months, and I’m still climbing!!
Chalene Johnson: Turbo Fire & Coaching Opportunity!!
Resources to Get Certified as a Group Fitness Instructor or Personal Trainer:
Connect with me if you would like more information on attending a Powder Blue Productions Instructor Training, Joining my Coaching Team or if you have any other questions. I would LOVE to help you make your PASSION for Fitness a Full Time Career!!!
Cheers to your Fitness Career, I know you will ROCK IT!!